Central Deborah Gold Mine
Descend to the depths of Bendigo and explore a real gold mine which operated during the gold rush era.
- Mine Experience Tour: 61m underground, 1.5hrs. With only the light on your helmet to light the path, our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides will explore Bendigo’s golden heritage with your group, the geology of the rock formations encountered, demonstrate the mining methods that were practiced on the Deborah Reef and explain what it was really like to be a miner during the gold rush era. This tour is wheelchair accessible. Click here for more info.
- Underground Adventure Tour: 85m underground, 2.5hrs. Gear up in overalls, boots, miner’s hat and lamp. Climb ladders, work a mine drill and search for gold, don’t forget finders keepers! Explore the underground tunnels, drifts and stope workings that still contain gold veins and gain an insight into the unique geology associated with the famous Bendigo Saddle Reef formations. This tour includes a hot miner's lunch served in the Underground Function Room! Click here for more info.
- Guided Surface Tour: 45mins. Take a step back in time and discover more about the many different methods used to mine for gold as your guide talks your group through the treasure trove of vintage mining machinery that was once used when Central Deborah was an operational gold mine. Click here for more info.
Step aboard a living piece of history that has been entwined with the city's identity since 1890 and get a glimpse of Bendigo in its heyday.
- Vintage ‘Talking’ Tram Tour: 1hr round trip. Discover the wide streetscapes and grand architecture of Bendigo as your tram tells you entertaining stories about a city founded on one of the world’s richest goldfields, explaining key historic landmarks en route. With multiple tram stops along the route, you can also hop-on and off to visit other attractions. Click here for more info.
- Anzac Centenary Tram: 1hr round trip.Through stories of bravery, resilience and courage in the face of adversity, the Anzac Centenary Tram explores the impact of WW1 on the local Bendigo community. Gain insight into what life was like on the frontline for soldiers, discover the pioneering role that Bendigo women played in the war effort, and come to understand how WW1 transformed the lives of families on the home front. Click here for more info.
- Depot & Workshop Tour: Hear the colourful story of how Bendigo Tramways has survived to the present day and see first-hand the craftsmanship and techniques that are involved in restoring each tram to its former glory. Click here for more info.
Bendigo Joss House Temple
From a few years after gold was discovered in 1851 to the present day, the Chinese community has been part of the proud history of Bendigo.
- Bendigo Joss House Temple Guided Tour: At the Bendigo Joss House Temple, a Chinese place of worship, your group will be greeted by one of our fantastic tour guides who will explore Chinese beliefs and explain the story of the Chinese who came to Bendigo in search of gold so long ago. The heritage-listed Bendigo Joss House Temple was constructed in the 1870s and is now one of the few remaining original buildings of its type in Australia. It is a significant and unique part of Bendigo’s cultural history.
Please click here for prices and packages!